Adventures in Corporate America

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Yesterday was my first day of work in Corporate America as a full-time employee!!! Last week I accepted an internship offer with a large auction services company for the position of IT Project Management Intern. There are three core business units and the one I am working in has 11,000 employees across North America. I am working at the corporate headquarters in Carmel.

I have to say...God in His infinite wisdom planned this out more perfectly than I could have imagined or tried to plan myself! This was totally last minute and I wasn't expecting to have a job when I returned home after I decided not to pursue an unpaid marketing gig in Chicago. As a result I was able to extend my travels in Europe, relax for two weeks at home, and as a bonus I still get to go on the vacation I already had planned. And along the way I learned a few lessons in persistence, humility, and trusting in the Lord.

My first day went incredibly well (thanks for all who prayed!) and the IT managers I am working with are great and excited to help me learn. The first time I opened my email I had 42 emails :O My boss is female, which is fantastic since the majority of the IT department is male, and has a daughter my age who is also in the Kelley School at IU. I share a corner window office with two of the IT managers and have my own desk with TWO computers. The perks of working with nerds :) I also feel pretty official because I have to carry a keyfob on my belt that lets me access the building and the elevators.

On my first day I managed to meet the CIO without realizing it. Score. Today my co-worker took me through the on-site data center. I wasn't technically supposed to have access to the room and I'll spare you the nerdy details, but some of the individual machines cost upwards of $600,000. The entire room contains upwards of $70 million of IT goodies and a couple miles of cabling.

Well, it's almost my bedtime. I went to bed at 12am the past two nights and got up at 6am. Pretty rough for a girl who is used to going to bed at 2am and waking up at 10 or 11am. It seems like by the time I get home from work, have dinner, and relax it's already bedtime. Ah, the real world. On the other hand, I don't know why I didn't try getting an internship last summer. I make more now in 8 hours than I did working 20 hours at the spa. Bazinga. Maybe I can start saving for a plane ticket back to Budapest :)

Day 2 - I need coffee

Reactions:

0 comments:

Post a Comment